Sunday, March 14, 2010

I Never Wanted To

As I divvied up the stars

ripening in the landscape

it hurt. And that’s why I

started writing down my

dreams or any thought

I might have on dreaming.

What I thought was a moth

clinging to your ankle was

really a clover. You were

showing me around even

though you we dead

and still I called you

something I regretted.

When I found out I was

flying someone sat me

down by my arms.

I replaced every reply

I ever made with a bowl

of tulips. To freshen them

up a bit. O lonely

breakfast star! I lack

what smoke lacks—

How horribly brittle

the paint on the swing

set is. This evening

is an overlooked cupola.

And figures fish with their

toes for a stone at the

bottom of a stream

amid the ruins of a

bilingual tomorrow

manana I mean.

It’s very simple.

At last we grow into

another person. Someone

completely foreign

to ourselves. I have this

thought every time I

revise the rhymes out

of my poems. Somehow

it is here you mysteriously

fade. You turn into

something runny.

And I awake with less

of an ability to love you.

No comments:

All Life is like this Afteroon

All life is like this afternoon on your young sandy face the weight of the stars the body tasting like snow a slipcover of communic...