Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Reading

And sometimes I dream
of being asked to read my poetry
at a very fine college.
I am picked up at the airport
or the train station
because of my poetic
disposition or for fear of flying
by a young poet too
who is full of nothing
but little bits of beauty
I enjoy the car ride.
I look out and see the landscape
I even think of a few lines
and jot them down
they will make a fine poem someday
I am well received
by the muffled voices as I pass
I have a wonderful dinner
and I don't have to pay
for any of it.
I meet the other poets
who teach there
and find we have a common friend
I tell them they have
found a good way to make a living.
I feel my ego rise like the head
of a giraffe, but when I understand
this I become quiet.
I give a good reading
I even have some good liner notes
which surprises me
I teach a class filled with admonishment
I sign my book
and the several others
that I have published.
the people at the college
are happy and say
they will invite me back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope they will have you back.

All Life is like this Afteroon

All life is like this afternoon on your young sandy face the weight of the stars the body tasting like snow a slipcover of communic...