Saturday, August 8, 2015

Stalling for Time

Larry was a fine cop
until he got beaten up by Ramona
He'd always come into the bar
and just sit there for hours after that.
After a long week and a
long night of just sitting at the bar
I asked Joe to go over to Larry.
"Why do you want me to go over to Larry?" he said
"I don't know, to cheer him up." I said
"He's just been coming into this bar
for this past week and just sitting there the whole night." I said.
"So have we." he said
"Maybe you can say something to cheer him up" I said
"You know how bad you feel after your wife beats you up."
"But I am not good at cheering people up." he said
"After I tried to cheer my son up for flunking out of college
he moved to Montana."
"Maybe you should go and cheer him up yourself." he said
"Maybe I will." I said.
I sat there a long time and said nothing.
The bar, if it could get any darker, did.
I got up and Joe looked up at me for a second.
I walked right passed Larry and out the door.



No comments:

All Life is like this Afteroon

All life is like this afternoon on your young sandy face the weight of the stars the body tasting like snow a slipcover of communic...