Thursday, November 26, 2015

Wrong Heaven

I was just sitting here, with my pajamas on
then I was meeting the dead.
Was there an accident?
A slow sickness?
It was a rainy night and everyone
had their slickers on.
Someone from the crowd offered
me one and I put one on too.
I was pretty wide-eyed but relieved
at the same time.
At least there was something
and I was still sort of myself.
Hey! someone said.
Yes? I said.
Did you own a cat?
Yes.  Yes I do...I did I mean.
Do I get him here in heaven?
Do I get my cat?
No, but your cat is the reason why you're here.
Then I started thinking backwards.
What happened...what happened?
Did Peevee get caught up in my feet?
Did I fall down the stairs?
No, your cat called us and gave a good rec.
Oh, I said.
So who do you want to meet first?
I felt...unlikely. That this was a biggest decision
of my...limbo...I guess?
I tightened my slicker.
My mother, I said.
That seemed like a sure thing.
Good choice.
Thanks.
I took my seat in a small cafe.
I ordered a tea.
My tea came.
I waited a long time.
The rain filled my cup.
Finally someone came up to me and said,
She's not coming.
What? Why I'm her son?
Yes I know, but she's not coming.
Well, what do I do now?
Can I see someone else, my father, my wife?
No, he said.
You see, we are all cats here.

No comments:

All Life is like this Afteroon

All life is like this afternoon on your young sandy face the weight of the stars the body tasting like snow a slipcover of communic...